I made my first pie! I chose apple because well, its my favorite fruit pie. I was a little intimidated before I started, but it was not as intense as I had thought. Check out the recipe and give it a try!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cold butter
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Approx 4 apples cored, peeled, and sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for top of the crust
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- splash of water
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix flour, sugar and salt together for your crust. You can use a food processor or if you do not have one use a fork.
- Add in cold butter. (If using stick butter add in as cubes. If using butter from a tub add in as dollops)
- Slowly add in cold water and mix. You will have a crumbly mixture.
- Before the dough has completely formed a ball, remove and bring together with your hands. Form dough into a disk, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix apples, flour, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- When your dough is cold take it out of the plastic wrap and divide in half. Return one half into the fridge.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1/2 of the dough out into a circle.
- Gently lift the dough and transfer it to the pie pan. Lightly press the sides against the bottom and sides of the pan. Trim any overhanging dough.
- Take the second half of the dough from the fridge and roll it out on your floured surface.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out Christmas shapes.
- Pour apple mixture into the pie pan and cover the top of apples with pats of butter.
- Place your cookie cutter crust on top of the apple filling. Be sure to line the edges.
- Mix your egg white and splash of water in a bowl and brush the top of the crust and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until crust is golden.